donderdag 16 oktober 2008

Rocky-after-math: Friendship and Coincidence

Wanted to go to the Psychological Aspect of Human Sexuality lecture (as entertainment, probably because of lack of the previous mentioned thing), but ended up in a crowdy lecture hall with a desperate and hypernervous teaching assistant trying to explain some vague exercises about rates, primes, equations and more far-away-from-my-bed math functions. Sex comes in one hour... Patience Veerle, patience...

My midterm of cultural psychology is waiting for me on friday. In the meanwhile I just keep dreaming about the Rocky Mountains, watching and re-watching the hundreds of pictures I took of this snow-dipped stoney tops. I loved it and if I had more than 10 procent of my laptop battery left, I would tell you everything about it. Now I will just quickly send you to the picture album: http://cid-623d43d05c27b292.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Photos/October%202008/Rocky%20Mountains%20Trip%2010-13%20october

Friendship... in these days I wonder what it is. Is it sending smileys in a live messenger chatbox in the internet after midnight, is it sharing food even though you don't really have enough for yourself, is it offering a shoulder to support a broken heart, let your toes almost become frozen just because the conversation is too interesting to interrupt, texting that you already miss each other after just one weekend, talking the whole night through on a cold couch in the reception hall of an some-stars hotel in the Rocky Mountains? If this is called friendship, I can say I have at least 4 very good friends here in Vancouver. But why don't I put enough effort in some other friendships that matter. Why do most of you have to put up with only my scarce news on this weblog or a short facebook message from time to time. Why is there no time left in these overbooked evenings to have a oversea-s chat? I just want to say I'm sorry for that. You all mean a lot to me, even though I'm far away. Nevertheless, on Canadian Thanksgiving (last monday) I mentioned all of you in a kinda-formal pre-vegan-dinner-speech. A moment to give thanks. to eat Tofurky (tofu-turkey) and to sing European Harvest Songs (I could only think of 'waar int bronsgroen eikenhout" and "the zomerse hei". Dad would be proud of me :P

Finally I am sure. My religious view is based on the laws of coincidence. Some things in life are just to 'coincidental' to be random. God (or however I can name this spiritual power) proved it to this doubting Belgian creature on sunday, to be exactly, alongside the heavenly blue shore of Lake Louise. Ok, it's the most visited touristic attraction of Canada, but that day there weren't that much tourists at all. I felt totally excited. Even though I lacked one night of sleep and I lived in some kind of memory-damaged sleepdrunk condition, I am sure that God's prove actually happened. Right at the moment my eyes crossed the blue surface of the lake, a voice reached my ears. " Sorry, did you go to Ecuador 3 years ago?". I was perplex. It was not necessary to check the name tag around her neck: this was Kim Lipscombe! My Canadian friend during my year in Ecuador. I knew she lived in Beautiful British Columbia, but how big it the chance to actually meet each other in the second biggest country of the world. Kim was guiding a group of international students of her college, I was with another group of Vancouverian International Students. And right on that moment, these fiveteen minutes of touristic exposure to the lake, our paths crossed. Isn't it planned coincidence?

Time for sexuality now. Lecture is going to start!

Enjoy the pictures and keep in mind I miss you!!!!!!!!!!

Veerle

1 opmerking:

jensvdm zei

Eén van de zeldzame meer-dan-gemiddeld-interessante vakken die ik in Leuven heb gevolgd, was "Filosofie van de kunst" van Arnold Burms. Op een gezapig tempo heeft de man elf weken volgepraat over "het contingente", "het punctum", "de intrusie" en, bovenal, "het toeval". Over mensen die elkaar toevallig tegenkomen op de trein na veertig jaar, over straatmuzikanten die toevallig op Jezus lijken, over ongelukkigen die zelfmoord plegen en al springend van het dak van een appartement toevallig straatreclame opmerken, over het zonlicht dat toevallig een kathedraal beschijnt, over een foto waarop toevallig een schoonheidsfoutje staat.
Als er één vak is dat je in Leuven moét nemen (áls je er gaat), dan is het dat wel. (Maar je moet je haasten, want de oude prof is bijna emiritaatgerechtigd.)

Thanks for visiting!